Next BGCM Meeting:
Sunday Aug 30th, 2020
Something connected with multiple rivets
Please see updates below for meeting changes.
BGCM Open Forge:
Thursday Aug 13th, 2020
Open Forge 6-9PM - Facemasks requiredRemember to call the hotline (410-386-9150) after 4pm the day of to confirm the forge will be open
Updates & Notifications:
***UPDATE August 5, 2020***
The following proposal was approved by the County on July 31. The regulations must be followed as proposed here. The Farm Museum will provide copies of a waiver on the date of the meeting that need to be signed to attend. The signed waivers will be returned to the Farm Museum office so they can keep them on file.
Per the governor’s order, masks must now be worn outside at public events so that will have to be followed as well. The county is very serious about doing the utmost to prevent outbreaks.
Please be advised not to attend any guild events if you do not feel well or believe you may have been exposed to COVID-19.
These permissions can be revoked if any of these guidelines are not followed as proposed.
The Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland will resume our monthly Open Forge nights and meetings. The Open Forge nights occur on the second Thursday of the month from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. The Monthly meetings occur on usually the third Sunday, (see below for dates) from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. During these meeting times, members may come and purchase coal, BGCM items, get books from our library, discuss projects, show and tell items, tailgate, seek technical advice on projects, and forge in our school facility. Currently there are eight (8) forges in the facility. BGCM will utilize every other forge (Four (4), 50% of the forges) at any time to ensure social distancing and sanitizing can occur. Members will sign up for forge time at a specific forge for specified times. This will maintain social distancing and allow the forge tooling to be sanitized between users. For each time slot, members would alternate between using the odd numbered forges and even numbered forges. First time slot forges at odd numbered forges, second time slot works at even number forges. Each forge area’s tooling will be sanitized before another member uses it. BGCM will follow all current safety protocols and guidance from the Health Department and Governor Hogan’s orders. BGCM will not host any of our joint public classes for the remainder of the year. The classes are in partnership with the CCFM.
BGCM will follow and enforce the following guidelines during our Open Forge and meeting times.
- BGCM members will sign the Farm Museum COVID waiver.
- Social distancing will be enforced for non-family gatherings and discussions.
- Facemasks will be worn at all times when social distancing cannot be done while in the forging area.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided for use.
- Handwashing regularly will be encouraged.
- Members will bring their own food and drinks for lunch or snacks, no potluck will be allowed.
- The business meetings will be held at the outer pavilions.
- Common contact areas will be cleaned regularly.
- BGCM will monitor the restrooms and clean and sanitize as needed.
- Members will sign up for one of four 90 minute time slots that are offered throughout the time of the monthly meeting; two at open forge night.
- Forge tooling and contact items will be sanitized prior to the next member using them.
- Forges will be supervised by a “BGCM Forgemaster” at all times for technical assistance and ensuring protocols are followed.
- Only the forge user, forgemaster, and/or Board members are allowed in the school building; no casual observers inside.
Call the BGCM hotline, 410-386-9150, prior to coming to ensure there have been no changes to the schedule listed above or if the meeting is canclled for weather related issues.
Please share this with any one who may need to know.
We will be allowed to hold our August Open Forge night,Thursday, August 13, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., and August monthly meeting,
Sunday, August 30, from 9 a.m to 4 p.m. As per county policy facemasks are required. Although, currently we are not allowed
in the forge area and have to meet outside. We can use the pavilions on the Steam Show grounds.
We have presented our plan to meet all required safety guidelines and social distancing that would allow us to use four (4) forges at time. This is based on the 50% indoor capacity and maintaining 6 ft distancing. If this is approved I will send out the protocols and guidelines we will have to follow. If you need to buy coal, visit the library, or buy some BGCM gear we will be there. On August 30th we will have our trade items for March (Something with a forge weld), April (Something with a mortise and tenon), June (Something for cooking), July (something with non-ferrous metal), and August (Something connected with multiple rivets). Each month will be done seperately so it may take awhile after the business meeting.
You will need to bring your own lunch, drinks, and snacks, there will be no potluck lunch.
All classes are canceled for the remainder of 2020.
Please share this with any BGCM member. We hope to have four (4) forges available to sign up for in 1 1/2 hour time slots, more details will come about that as soon as we hear officially.